Quite often there is a need to reset the settings of the Android phone. This procedure is quite simple. It’s enough to tap a couple of times on the screen of your smartphone. Despite this, many users do not know how to reset the settings on Android to factory settings. If you belong to this category of people, then this article is for you. In it, we will unveil the veil of secrecy and tell you how to tear down the settings.
Table of Contents
Reset. What is it and what does it eat with
Resetting or Factory Reset is a process in which all information is deleted from a smartphone or tablet. The phone is cleared of photos, videos, audio, etc. Since all user data is deleted from the smartphone, the device comes back to its original form. That is, the phone will return to the state that he had before the purchase (i.e., the factory condition).
As a rule, when restoring factory settings, the operating system does not roll back. That is, Factory Reset does not affect the version of Android. It is also worth noting that when resetting uninstall settings, only the data that is on the device’s internal memory is subject to uninstall. That is, information from a SIM card or SD remains unharmed.
There are a number of reasons why people restore factory settings. Here are the most common ones:
- Problems in the device. With prolonged use of the gadget, cache, temporary files, and other slag accumulate in memory. Because of this, the system begins to constantly slow down. In this case, Factory Reset is a real lifesaver. Resetting the settings, you can solve most of the problems that relate to performance, the correct operation of the device.
- There is no way to unlock the screen. Many users put a graphic key or password on their smartphone. This is a reasonable measure to protect your device from strangers. However, sometimes the combination to unlock the smartphone just flies out of my head. Resolving the problem can reset Android settings.
- Preparing the device for sale. Everything is extremely simple here. You do not want anyone to have access to your personal data. And the buyer is probably unpleasant that the phone is clogged with unnecessary contacts and messages.
Before you carry out the reset, you need to prepare. To do this, follow the instructions below:
- Carefully check your phone for important information. Better transfer all the photos, videos and music to your computer. If you do not have access to a PC, then just transfer valuable information to the cloud.
- Make sure your phone is fully charged. Some smartphones, when the battery is low, will not allow you to activate the Factory Reset function. And this is the best possible outcome. If the phone does reset and the battery runs out during this procedure, this can lead to unexpected consequences, even if the device malfunctions.
- If OS version 5.1 and higher is installed on a smartphone or tablet, then before resetting the settings on Android you need to delete your Google account. The fact is that the company has a new policy regarding security issues. The system is designed to protect phones from theft and subsequent resale. The essence of the innovation is as follows: before turning on the smartphone after Factory Reset, you must enter the data of the extreme user. Otherwise, the phone simply will not start. Access will be possible only through the service center. Yes and that, only if you have documents for the acquisition.
How to make a factory reset
How to reset Android to factory settings? There are several ways to do this:
- Use “Settings”;
- Activate Recovery menu;
- Use the built-in button to reset;
- Apply service code.
Each of these methods is suitable for a particular situation. For example, if you need to clean the gadget from garbage, then it is better to reset the system through the "Settings". If there is no way to turn on your phone, then you need to use Recovery. Consider each of the above methods in more detail.
The easiest way to return to the factory settings is to start recovery through the standard Settings menu. Nevertheless, you can use this method only when you have access to the system. To restore all factory settings, you only need to:
- Open the “Settings” section and select the item called “Recovery and reset”.
- The list that was opened as a result of previous actions must be scrolled down. There you will find the “Reset Settings” tab. It is worth noting that the name of the item on different phones may differ. For example, on Lenovo it can be the “General Reset” tab, and on gadgets from LG – “Erase All Data”.
- To start the process of restoring factory settings, you need to tap on the tab "Reset settings". The system will issue a warning that all data from the internal memory of the phone will be deleted.
- We agree and confirm the completion of the procedure by tapping on the item “Erase everything”. The process of resetting the system parameters will begin. It will take a certain amount of time.
Sometimes the phone is in such a state that it is not possible to use its system resources. For example, the device does not turn on or starts to freeze during startup. What to do in this case? The only way to reset the system parameters is to use the so-called Recovery menu.
What is Recovery? In fact, this is a kind of analogue BIOS in computers. Recovery is special software that is located outside the operating system. This software is by default installed on smartphones. Its main goal is to diagnose hardware, create backups and restore the system. We are interested in the latter.
The first thing to do is enter the Recovery menu. You need to turn off your device (the buttons should go out). Then you need to hold and for a few seconds to hold a specific key combination. Which one? It all depends on the manufacturer. The most common combination that fits most smartphones is Volume Down Power. That is, you must simultaneously hold down the volume down button and the power key of the device.
On devices from LG, you can often find the following combos: Power Home Volume Up. You must simultaneously hold down the phone’s activation button, increase the volume and “Home” (located under the screen). Keep the keys pressed until the company logo appears on the display. When this happens, release the button responsible for turning on the smartphone. Do not release the remaining keys for 10-15 seconds.
LG devices also have their own combination to call Recovery Menu: Power Volume Down. Immediately you need to hold down the button to activate the power and lower the sound. As soon as the LG brand name appears on the screen, you need to release the keys and press “Power” again.
Work with Recovery Menu
After carrying out the above manipulations, you should go to the Recovery menu. Moving in it is carried out using the sound control buttons. To confirm the action, use the Power button or the Home button. If Recovery supports the sensor, then you can control the program using tapes.
How to make a complete reset on Android through Recovery? In the proposed list, you need to find the Factory Reset option. On some devices, this item may be referred to as Clear eMMC. Click on it, after which the program will require confirmation – select the affirmative option yes. The program will reset the system to its initial settings. Upon completion of this procedure, you need to click on Reboot System Now to reboot the device.
Restoring proprietary settings through the Recovery Menu is a fairly simple task that even a child can handle. Difficulties may arise if the names of the items differ. Nevertheless, these are trifles. The value of this or that item can be understood even with minimal knowledge of the English language. In general, the process of demolishing user settings is the same for all devices that run on the Android operating system.
Some manufacturers make a separate button on their gadgets, which is designed to reset user settings. It is made in the form of a small hole in the housing. To activate the reset, just hold this key for a couple of seconds with some object.
You can even demolish the system without going to Settings. It is enough to activate the panel for dialing numbers and enter one of the service codes there. Here are just a few of them:
Whether the code works or not depends on the manufacturer. If none of the above combinations worked, then try to take her to the "Emergency Call".