Today we will try to lift the veil of secrecy and answer the question: how to connect a laptop to a TV using a local WiFi network.
The easiest way to connect your laptop to your TV is via an HDMI cable. Any model of computers and “blue screens” today is equipped with the necessary connector for HDMI. But there are situations when connecting a laptop through a cable is problematic and inconvenient. For example, if a computer or laptop is located in another room and there is no way to move it. In this case, the only optimal solution is to use a wireless LAN WiFi.
Connecting a laptop to a Smart TV using WiFi
DO NOT FORGET! Both devices, both the TV and the laptop, must be connected to the same local wireless network. If you are setting up a house, then make sure that both devices are connected to the same router.
Now go to the setting itself. First you need to connect the TV to the local network, according to the instructions of your model. After that, we connect the laptop. Further settings for displaying information on a large display are made using a unique assistant-special application. All work will fall on the mighty shoulders of an electronic assistant who will take on the heavy burden of communication.
You can use the standard Windows Media Center Extender as an assistant. It comes factory-fitted with many computers and laptops. If you don’t have one, you can download and set up any media server.
Media center extender
IMPORTANT! Media Center Extender is built-in for Windows 7 and 8.
The opening mechanism in the seven: in the "Start" in the search line we write the name of the program. Open in the search results. The opening mechanism for the figure eight: move the cursor to the upper corner on the right side, a menu will appear in front of you, you need to start the search in it. Next, open the resource in the search results.
DO NOT FORGET! If you have the right type of operating system installed, but you still could not find the necessary option, then it will need to be installed independently. To do this, go to the official resource and install the necessary updates.
After installation, go to the setup. In the menu, select the item "Media Extender". On the menu that opens, open the item “Installing a media console”. In the illustration below you can see how the installation looks.
Using Media Center Extender is quite easy, its operation will not be difficult and does not require any professional knowledge. The main thing is to correctly follow the instructions on the screen. After the connection of the laptop with the TV is successfully completed, send the necessary files to the media console, that is, to the TV. After that, you will get the desired image on a large diagonal.
Third-party software to connect
On the Internet you can find a huge number of special applications for displaying information from a laptop or personal computer on TV. But, in order not to get lost in such a great variety, it is best to choose proven options:
- Share Manager;
- Home media server;
- Samsung Share.
The third service has a lightweight interface, and rich functionality. But, unfortunately, it is the privilege of owners of TVs of the South Korean manufacturer Samsung. When connected to other brands of equipment, it does not work correctly and can lead to malfunctions.
If you are looking for a universal service, then a home media server will be the perfect option for you. In addition, such a server is stable and highly practical.
- The installation of this application is free, which may not please. Consider the mechanism for using third-party applications to connect a laptop to Smart TV via a local WiFi network using the example of this application. Download the Home media server. Install it and run it. If you downloaded the media server in EXE format, then simply follow the instructions in the pop-up windows. If you downloaded the ZIP version, then you will need to unzip the archive, and then install it using Setup.exe. In the illustration you can see how the installation is done.
This process does not require professional knowledge and skills of an IT specialist, even a school student will cope with it.
- Now we assign a TV, which we will use as a large display to demonstrate content from a laptop. This is done as follows: when a table appears with a list of device types, select your TV model. As you can see from the illustration below, we have a Sony 1280720 TV. After selecting, click Next.
- The server kindly offers us to expand the existing folders and open the ones that are already created on your laptop or computer. It looks like this:
Well, it is inconvenient to refuse the offer, especially since the files we have are walled up in the bowels of RAM.
- Click the plus sign and indicate the location of the necessary files. To confirm, click OK.
- Enjoy a clear, colorful and high-quality image of files on a large TV screen.