Often the best way to restore Android is to reset it to factory settings. So you can solve most of the problems with the device freezing and various glitches. If the gadget turns on and is able to boot by itself, then the easiest way to clean the system to its original state by deleting all user data is through the settings menu.
Table of Contents
We carry out Hard Reset from the working system
This feature is already initially included in the interface of any device on Android, so no third-party utilities for conducting a complete reset of the device settings, if it is turned on, will not be required:
- Go to the device settings, sometimes the folder is called "Settings";
- Here, go to the section for archiving data and resetting settings;
- Make sure that the checkboxes for data archiving and auto-recovery are checked, then you can easily restore the current parameters of the gadget after it resets the settings;
- In the "Personal data" click on the line to reset the data.
After that, it remains only to read the system warning that all installed applications and the user account will be deleted from the device’s memory. Confirm your intention, after which the gadget will reboot and you will have absolutely “clean” smartphone or android tablet on your hands. It will be cleared of all personal information and malicious applications.
You can restore the factory settings to the android device using the computer, using the proprietary program of the gadget manufacturer. You just need to connect it to the PC, find the “Restore” item and start the process, following the instructions of the program.
In the same way as in any system, you can perform a data reset procedure, the Recovery console features are embedded in any android device, even if it does not turn on. The only difference for gadgets from different manufacturers is the implementation of the procedure for entering this mode. We will present an example algorithm of actions for entering Recovery Mode, and also describe how it can restore the system.
For Samsung devices:
- simultaneously hold down the volume down and Power buttons;
- after the logo appears, release the power button while still holding Volume Down until the list of Recovery Mode commands appears on the display.
If the algorithm described above does not work, then just simultaneously hold down three buttons at once – Power, Volume Up and Home until you enter the reset mode.
Please note that the device must be disconnected from USB and charging, so charge your device better before performing a hard reset procedure.
- hold down the Power buttons and the volume rocker in the middle for a few seconds;
- then once – on Volume Down or Volume Up.
If the method does not work, press Power until the device vibrates, then several times immediately on Volume Up.
For Nexus, ASUS, and other devices, the method of simultaneously pressing the Power and Volume Down keys is usually suitable.
Recovery Mode Features
It provides the user with several options at once, even if the tablet does not turn on. The most affordable for any user is a complete reset and deletion of all user files. Thus, you can solve the problems with the unstable operation of the gadget, for example, as a result of the action of the virus:
- Use the volume rocker to highlight the menu item wipe data / factory reset;
- Activate this function by pressing Power;
- After the reset is completed, which usually takes no more than a few seconds, activate the Reboot System Now command in the same way.
The device will reboot, while it will fully restore functionality. True, user applications, files and settings will be deleted. Therefore, if the device turns on, make it a backup.
We make a backup from the recovery console
In order to be able to restore its functionality after resetting the device, it will be worthwhile to make a full backup of the device. It is included in the Recovery console:
- Using the volume rocker and the Power button, select and activate the Backup and Restore line.
- In the menu that opens, in the same way, open the Backup item.
The process of creating an archive takes about 10 minutes. To restore the system from the created archive, in the Backup and Restore section, select Restore. But keep in mind that a full backup of the system can be done in this way only if you have Root rights.
Android Recovery Without Root Access
Few ordinary users want to solve problems with getting Root access to their device. Therefore, we consider the Safe Backup application, with which you can reserve various data if the smartphone / tablet is turned on – contacts, alarms, calendars, bookmarks, photos, videos, application installation archives, etc.
Backup is performed on Android as follows:
- Safe Backup utility is launched on the device;
- The main application window opens, the interface of which consists of only a couple of buttons – “Save” and “Restore”;
- Click "Save" and select a directory;
- Here you can optionally compress the archive and set a password on it.
To extract the data you just need to click the appropriate button and specify the location to save the archive. Note that it is impossible to restore the full firmware with all applications without Root rights on android devices. In the described way, only user data is saved and restored.